How many times have you thrown away stale bread? Well, I’ve done it too many times. Last night I decided to use my stale homemade bread in some bread pudding. I’ve never made it before and it was so delicious. So if you’re looking for a tasty bread pudding recipe or have old bread, this one’s for you.
I of course got it off of Allrecipes.com. It’s the best site for recipes in my opinion. Here it is. Give it a try.
- 6 slices day-old bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup raisins or craisins (because craisins are better) (optional)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk (I used 1 cup 1% and 1 cup vanilla soy milk)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Break bread into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread. If desired, sprinkle with raisins.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.
It was a hit at our house. Jenna even liked it and she’s surprisingly picky when it comes to dessert. I think it will be breakfast too. Mmmmmm.